Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Book Pillow Tutorial: Supplies for Tutorial Exchange with Magpie Mine's Etsy Shop!

I'm really excited, because I had a great opportunity to participate in a Supplies for Tutorial Exchange with the wonderful Etsy shop Magpie Mine! Magpie Mine offers a variety of beautiful digital collage sheets that can be used in different projects. The Supplies for Tutorial Exchange is a program from Totally Tutorials.

Some of Magpie Mine's collage sheets inspired me to think about some of my favorite things--food, music, and books :) I love to make pillows, so for my project, I'm doing a tutorial about how to make a no sew book shaped pillow.

No Sew Book Pillow Tutorial



Materials:
• Digital collage sheets
• Fabric:
(1) 13.5 inches x 13.5 inches square piece of fabric (for the
outer “book cover” of the pillow)
(1) 13.5 inches x 13.5 inches square piece of fabric (for
the “page” part of the pillow)
• Fabric paper
• Permanent fabric glue
• Iron
• Scissors
• Ruler
• Pins
• Batting/material to stuff pillow
• Optional: Fusible webbing; Ribbon; Colorful permanent fabric markers



Step 1 Iron the fabric edges.

Place the fabric square that you will use for your book cover wrong side up and fold ½ inch from the edge. Press flat. Repeat for each side of the fabric square.



Repeat with the second fabric square that you will be using for the book page.



Step 2 Bind the fabric edges.

Now that the edges are pressed, you can bind them flat using fabric glue or fusible webbing. Lift each edge that you just pressed and place a line of glue or fusible webbing to secure it to fabric underneath it.



Step 3 Fold and press fabric to make a spine for the book.

For the fabric square that you will use to make the book cover:

Place the fabric wrong side up.

Measure 6 inches from the edge of the fabric. Fold along this line and press.



Measure 1 inch from the fold you just made. Fold along this line and press.



For the fabric square that you will use to make the book page:

Place the fabric right side up.

Measure 6 inches from the edge of the fabric. Fold along this line and press.



Measure 1 inch from the fold you just made. Fold along this line and press.



Now the “page” fabric should fit inside the “book cover” fabric.

Step 4 Select images from the digital collage for the book cover and book page. Print the images on fabric paper.

This is a really fun step where you can let your imagination run wild :) In order to create the design for your pillow book cover and page, you can create a lot of fun patterns with the collage images by merging them with a photoediting program or you can print the images directly from the digital collage page.

For this project I did the following:

First, I printed a collage image of vintage playbills, for the cover of the book.

Next, I used a collage sheet of the alphabet on vintage sheet music. I digitally cut and pasted letters to make a quotation by Gregory David Roberts: “Food is music to the body. Music is food to the heart.” I merged this quotation with music notes and colorful collage images of fruit and fruit baskets. I used this image for the back cover.



Last, I used a collage sheet that included images of retro fabric to create a checkerboard pattern. First, I cropped an image of a fruit. Then I copied and pasted the image several times. I changed the color of half of the fruit images with a digital filter. Then I added music notes to the go with theme of music and food. I used this to create the "page" of the book.



Step 5: Cut out the images that you printed



Step 6: Glue or fuse the images onto the fabric. Add any additional decorations.

Place the images on the fabric using fabric glue or fusible webbing.
Optional: You can also place ribbon around the image to decorate and frame it. I used brown ribbon to frame the vintage playbill image and sea green ribbon to frame the quotation and fruit image.



Another fun idea is to write a title for the book cover and spine. I used permanent fabric marker. I also creased the fabric to have the feel of a paperback book and to go with the vintage theme.



Step 7: Glue the spine of the book.

Place the book cover fabric square and the page fabric square wrong sides together.



In the center of the fabric where you created the book spine, glue three of the edges together. Leave the fourth side open to have room to put batting into the spine.



Step 8: Put batting in the spine of the book and glue the edge closed.



Step 9: Place batting between the fabric squares. Leave room to seal the edges.



Step 10: Secure the book cover fabric square and the page fabric square together.

Pin the pieces together so that the edges match up.



Remove a few pins at a time and use fabric glue or fusible webbing to secure the pieces together.



Enjoy your soft book pillow!

Thanks so much to Magpie Mine for the beautiful collage sheets!

Check out Magpie Mine's Etsy shop and blog.

51 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial! I'm a new Fri. follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial!

    I'm your 'current' newest follower;*) Happy Friday Follow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You started off with a tutorial...I am hooked...always looking for more projects.

    Stopping by from Friday Follow. Happy Following!
    Holly @ 504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  4. Followin'!

    http://pamandchuckbowers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Friday and Friday Follow! Great step by step pics! Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from Friday Follow! I am a new follower. :)

    Join me and link up for Furry Friday Follow at My Pet Savings!

    Kristy

    http://www.mypetsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. FRIDAY FOLLOW ~ GLAD YO MEET YOU

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! Friday following you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The book pillow is really interesting. I never saw anything like that before. Thanks for sharing the directions as I might have to make one of these. I am now following you from Friday Follow. Have a great Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Following you from the Friday Follow.

    http://stacievaughansblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very impressed with your skills!

    Thanks for linking up at Friday Follow. I am already following and stopping over to say hello. Happy Friday Follow!

    ~ Lynn
    http://www.middayescapades.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat idea.

    Hoping by From Follow Friday!!!

    See you around.

    Valerie @ WalkinInSunshine & RocksInMyGarden

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to try this - so lovely!

    Stopping by from Friday Follow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Friday Follow! I'm now a follower of yours.

    That is a great tutorial you have posted and I love your etsy sho. I have one too, check me out :O)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here from Follow Friday!
    What a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hello new follower from friday follow
    http://luvtosave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your background!! Cute blog! : ) I am now following from Friday Follow! http://www.thriftyandfrugalliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Friday Follow - Rita @ http://one2try.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. New Friday Follower, have a great weekend!

    Eloise
    Mommy2TwoGirls
    http://mommy2twogirls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Friday Follower

    http://luckycanuck.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a neat project! I've been meaning to try photo fabric--it looks like a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your tutorial. I think even I can follow that,lol.

    Following you from Friday Follow.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Coming by from Fridayfollow.
    The Buzz,
    Brandy

    a tutorial exchange sounds fun! Goodjob!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stopping by from FridayFollow, I love your blog, so glad to find you and will follow!
    Have a great day!
    www.hipchicdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Stopping by to say hello again with Friday Follow. Hope you had a great week.

    Felissa
    www.felissahadas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello!! I'm following you from the Friday Follow.
    http://panperfocaccia-grianne.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stopping by for friday follow! I am your newest follower! I may have to try this!!!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stopping by Friday Follower.

    I became a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Popping over to say I am a new follower from Friday Follow.

    http://terra-del-sole.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is such a cute idea!!!!

    I'm following from Friday Follow!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fun project. Glad to have found you thru the Friday Follow.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  32. what a cool project! coming through on Friday Follow! Now a follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi, Stopping by to be a new Friday follower. Thanks for the cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I loooove Totally Tutorials - so glad to see another Exchange participant!!! I'm noooot from Follow Friday, but it seems like maybe I ought to check it out!!!

    - Lindsay
    Shrimp Salad Circus

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy Friday Follow! I am now following your blog! I would love for you to follow mine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Following you from Friday Follow. Love your blog and the ideas you have. Hope you will follow me at http://thecookinglady.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi stopping by from Friday Follow. Love your blog and VERY glad I got to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a neat idea!

    Stopping by from Friday Follow... Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a creative idea...I have never seen anything like it!

    Already following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks, you make it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Cute project! Found you through Friday Follow!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Now you're making feel all crafty!! I just might have to do a no sew project! I'm a new follower from Friday Follow!! Super cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks sweetie for joining this week and posting. I'm already following you. Sorry I have been around. I'm having computer issues and switching over to Wordpress so my blog is down. I'll be back soon though.

    Happy Follow Friday!

    Tami
    www.heartsmakefamilies.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. New follower from Friday Follow! :)

    The Freebie Fairy:
    http://www.freebiefairy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Stopping by from Friday Follow!

    Heather
    http://www.ratherbechangingdiapers.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Stopping by from Friday follow- http://runninlateagain.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'm following you from Follow Friday. Come Follow me too!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I am loving that. I just might attempt to make one. I am not really crafty, but I am determined!

    I have an award for you

    http://flyinggigglesandlollipops.blogspot.com/2010/01/we-all-need-little-sunshine.html

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks so much for submitting this fun project to Trendy Treehouse. This is definitely a unique project that I would love to share.

    We'll be in touch. Thanks again,

    Tara
    Trendy Treehouse

    ReplyDelete